Integration – Find the Area Between Curves
In this tutorial students learn how to find the area between curves. The students then verify the solution using the GRAPH, WINDOW, CALC, INTEGRATION and TRACE features of the TI-84C.
1) Set the 2 functions equal to each other to find the interval over which the integration is to take place.
2) Figure out which function is the largest (on top) over the calculated interval from STEP 1.
If possible sketch what the 2 curves look like in relation to each other.
3) Build the integration statement using the interval and then list the largest function first and then subtracting the other function.
Note that if the smaller function has multiple terms it must be place in parenthesis so that the negative can be distributed to all of its terms.
5) Evaluate the integral over that specified interval.
6) Verify your results using the Texas Instruments graphing calculator. TI-84, TI-84 Plus, TI-84C
You have just found the area of the bounded region.